Before health education and restrictions on the tobacco industry nearly everyone smoked . People who did not smoke often carried light to share for others as a courtesy. As a kid, I was fixated on the Zippo Lighter. They clicked, flicked and snapped into a flame that did not consume the fibers in the center of the little chrome grid. This was cool and weird at the same time, just like the “burning bush” that confronted Moses. God had a mission and a direction for Moses. He had a cool-weird Zippo lighter moment and had the presence of mind to listen and follow.
Our smoking habits have changed. Lighters are not as commonplace BUT Jesus is still the way, the truth and the life. He is the God of all creation and that does not change with the whims of culture. God is the source of direction for our lives. Even when we lose our way, God is still speaking to his people. The greater question is, are we listening?
Click here for our Sermon Text: Exodus 3:1-15
Here are some of the high points:
- Moses has lost his way. Born into hiding, prayed into being a prince of the most powerful nation in history. He had everything all figured out until he killed a man.
- He fled Egypt at about age 40, he could be 70- or 80 years old, trapped in the sheep business. His direction is to water and pasture for the sheep. The Big picture direction of his life was lost
- God called through an angle in the guise of a fire. Like a zippo, the flame is alive with sound sight and the very voice of God but it is not consumed This is a holy moment on a holy patch of ground.
- The message: GO to Egypt, bring the message of victory and release, deliver them. Your marching orders, your credentials and your provision is simply from “I AM. Tell them I AM sent you. This is a derivation of the Yahweh, the name of God. They would understand.
- There is no question that this burning bush moment is God’s direction, authority, and provision. He may question his sanity or his faith but this is to far out there to be anything less than God. He shows more than a little doubt of self or his ability but the mission is all there.
Wouldn’t you and I have a less anxious life if we followed God’s clear direction with such surefootedness.
A young man that is now a certified lay minister and holding down a church asked me a question. We were have a parking lot conversation with another pastor who was accustomed to saying “God told me” this and that, whether choosing a song, sermon, or a car. He often spoke this way and I knew him as a man of God committed to the Gospel and prayer. The young lay pastor was quiet in this conversation as our neighbor was telling us what God had told him to do. After this pastor left, my friend quietly asked. “Brother Joe hears from God? How does he know its God and not someone else?” This is a great question .
Moses has some hints for listening for God’s voice in this story. I have never heard Charlton Heston’s voice booming a message out of the rafters or had writing magically appear on the wall but I hear God’s voice in my spirit. Many of my friends and colleagues have been re- assured of their life’s direction in many different ways. How do we hear? How do we know it isn’t a misleading voice?
Good questions! People are dying from a lack of direction. Suicide, depression, missed opportunities, lost wages to unproductivity burden us when we lose our direction and flounder in our faith. It can all be crushed by simply knowing and following God’s direction by faith. Before you get too excited though, God makes us work for it and we will battle with doubt most of the way!
We are seldom blessed with an angelic and fiery message. We live by faith and not sight. God’s message is subtle, silent and sure we have to listen for it. Consider these when you are discerning your life-direction.
Walking in faith and seeking God’s direction begins when we pay attention to God in your everyday life, create time and place for prayer, know your own story. The light of Christ is your, portable, powerful and shareable. Jesus isn’t I was or the I will be he is the ever present and eternal “I AM”. Jesus is your portable, powerful, eternal and living flame. Carry it well and share!
You have the authority, God has the direction for you! I AM knows you by name