Tonight we had a small group with a BIG discussion! We have set aside Monday Evenings at 6:00 for Adult Bible Study This is an Inductive study where we look at the whole to see where God’s direction comes from.
In Monday School, It is as important to know HOW to study as it is to know the information. We are not seeking simple intellectual knowledge but God’s wisdom. To do this we will hone three skills: Observation-spiritual reading, Interpretation-spiritual seeking, and Application-putting truth into practice.
Tonight was James, Chapter 1: CLICK HERE for the full text: Hey the book in only 5 pages!
What we observed:
- It was written by a powerhouse guy, but a real person who really knew Jesus. He had a solid grasp of a mixed Christian culture and Jewish wisdom literature. This is the New Testament book of proverbs.
- People of faith have problems. Seeking God uses them to build us up, strengthen us, to stay standing and motivate us to DO faith instead of folding when times get tough. We shared stories about carrying on. Tough times build a Faith that stands when the heat is on and an untested faith is no faith at all.
- One likened to simply hearing as reading a novel, when tired, looking away, and looking back to forget what we read. Faith leads to Wisdom which moves us from a forgetful hearer to an effectual doer. Talk+love= action.
- Wisdom that builds faith listens, then speaks and doesn’t get mad. Mad takes our mind off of God.
- Finally wisdom is shown by keeping our mouths under control and our moral decision inline with God’s word. This is hard BUT we have everything we need to observe, interpret and they bravely apply. We don’t have to feel inferior to ANYONE but carry on.
Next week Chapter 2: How is a growing faith lived out with others. Excellent Group! Group members and others are welcome to add a comment